Shazbot

Weird files flagged as Trojans

So, when I first installed the Destiny client my Windows Defender lit up with an alert about a file called Fuerboos. I did some research, and it turned out this was a common false flag on a file commonly used for homebrew networks, so I unblocked it and was able to enjoy the game.

Today, when I tried to log on it told me files were missing and it wouldn't run, so I reinstalled the client. Now, when it tries to update it downloads a file to my computer called "Occamy.C". After looking it up, this one seems like a very real threat, so I removed it from my computer, but then the update couldn't finish. I ran the update again, and the same thing happened. I decided to delete the old downloader and redownload the client from your site, but it keeps doing the same thing. Now I don't even want to touch the client because it seems to be trying to install viruses on my computer. Does anyone else have this problem?

Well, there's no actual "file" named Occamy.C, or Fuerboos for that matter, anywhere in the client. These are names for "threats" the antivirus software finds (or claims to find). The files the software is concerned about are psobb.exe/psobbw.exe files and in psobb.pat/psobbw.pat. The latter are the same files but in patch form.

Since our client changes with each update, there's not much telling what kind of flags it gets picked up on each time. Last update we only had 6 flags, this time we're not so lucky it seems. But I assure you, there's no malware in our client. Use your best judgement, but you should know that all psobb servers have virus flags in their files (some even in additional .dlls). Even the original stock psobb client had a ton of flags. If you want to play here without issues, you pretty much have to whitelist the folder (or at least the 4 files I mentioned).

Well, I'm uncomfortable constantly white listing stuff in my antivirus, but independent research did show the Fuerboos thing to be a false positive, and I did enjoy the game for over a week without any problems, so I guess I'll get over it. The problem now is convincing my friends who are paranoid for their computers to also do the same...

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll come home and mess with this again after work.