★BEE★

"Failed to start PSO. Error: Access is denied"

I've been able to play without too much issue. I've had the odd game client crash here or there, but the game is very much playable. Well, until this last crash. I was doing some CCA runs, and when I went to join our group's new game, the client crashed. Then, when I go to launch the game now, I get this popup that says "Failed to start pso. Error: Access is denied". I don't know what's causing this. I didn't change anything or not give it administrative permissions or anything.

I put a screenshot of the message. I'm gonna try to reinstall Destiny and see if the game works again then. Will update on results.

2017-09-27 22_50_37-MainWindow.png

im not entirely sure what would be causing this, but if you havent already make sure your antivirus isnt blocking pso and the exes are set to run as admin individually might also help

if all else fails you could try a fresh install, sorry i cant be of more help but i will let other staff know to try to resolve this for you

bzzzzzzzzz

Have you installed the game in its default location (Program files)? If so install a fresh copy in a folder on the root of your C drive e.g. C:\Psobb Destiny - create the folder first if you need to. 

If the new install works, try to delete your original copy. This will likely error up with a could not delete access denied error - if so, its some kind of bug / permission issue with your admin account.

5 hours ago, grundlefist said:

im not entirely sure what would be causing this, but if you havent already make sure your antivirus isnt blocking pso and the exes are set to run as admin individually might also help

if all else fails you could try a fresh install, sorry i cant be of more help but i will let other staff know to try to resolve this for you

bzzzzzzzzz

I already gone ahead and made sure I've made antivirus exceptions. Although there isn't much point since for whatever reason, Destiny doesn't give me false positives like other servers. I set the exe's to run as Admin, and also run them in compatibility mode for XP service pack 2. Supposedly the latter helps. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 hours ago, Tro said:

Have you installed the game in its default location (Program files)? If so install a fresh copy in a folder on the root of your C drive e.g. C:\Psobb Destiny - create the folder first if you need to. 

If the new install works, try to delete your original copy. This will likely error up with a could not delete access denied error - if so, its some kind of bug / permission issue with your admin account.

I've always installed PSO in the root of hard drives. But your advice is very good. I tried running the uninstaller Destiny has, and all it uninstalled was the uninstall folder. >.> So I had to manually delete everything and clean the registry. I was getting "Admin has to delete this, try again"-type errors when trying to delete pso.exe and the Destiny PSOBB folder that housed it, but those went away after a restart. Also it should go without saying but I'm on an admin account, soooooo idk.

BUT, in any case, I've reinstalled Destiny and it's working again. I had another issue while writing this post which was the Gulim font wasn't the one the game uses anymore, but I got it to work by selecting it again with the PSO settings thing... That Ephinea has access to. I have both Ephinea and Destiny installed on the same hard drive, and apparently editing the options in one also effects the other. Which is good, since I can't find a way to access the original PSO settings from the Destiny launcher.

Sooooo, hopefully this is the end of my technical issues. Hopefully.